Wednesday, October 30, 2019

Today I present my original composition, APPLESEED JOHN.  I completed this piece in 2001 and scored it for French horn (John), piano, string quartet, harmonica, banjo, steel-string acoustic guitar, and full choir.  Below is a screenshot of the title page from the autograph score:


Appleseed John is another of my secular cantatas.  Again set to my father’s words, this piece tells the story of John Chapman “Johnny Appleseed”; an American folk hero from the early 19th century.  This highly condensed tale seeks to illuminate some of John’s most enduring qualities.  Musically, I strove for a rather quaint “American” sound that would be in keeping with the man, his time, and place.


Listen at SoundClick

APPLESEED JOHN, Copyright©2001 DamonMusic by Sean Damon Rohde.  All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment