Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Today I present my original composition, DANCE OF THE DESERT SPIRITS.  I completed this piece in 2012 and scored it for four recorders (SATB), folk shawm, violin, zitter, oud, hurdy gurdy (with crank click), riqq, daff, and duff.  Below is a screenshot of the title page from the autograph score:


This composition is an experiment in the use of ethnic instruments as well as an attempt to incorporate Eastern and Western melodic and harmonic techniques into to a congruous amalgam.  Did I succeed?  I don’t know; I’ll let the listener decide.  However, as you listen, please be mindful of the fact that these instruments are not tuned the same as those of the west.  For that reason and no fault of my own, this piece may, at times, sound a bit out of tune to the discerning ear.

Listen at SoundClick
Listen at MP3Unsigned

DANCE OF THE DESERT SPIRITS, Copyright©2012 DamonMusic by Sean Damon Rohde. All rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment